From Vietnam to You: Stories and Questions

June 03, 2024, by Wulan Istri

Vietnam has never been on my top priority list of places to visit. I never thought I would visit Vietnam this early. I thought I would visit Thailand first, but I didn't. This all was begun last year. The conversation to visit this country came up in the taxi from CGK airport with Mba Sasti. Well, I'd like to visit Sa Pa too, so I was in it. Th rest, I forgot how it was, but we ended up booking our flight ticket in last February (or March? I forget). And yeah. We did it. And in my opinion, Vietnam will always be worth to revisit. 

You know, other Sa Pa, I didn't expect too much. And you know what? I just thought that Sa Pa is beautiful and magical. But once I got there, I thought I fell in love! And I really fall. The center of the city is so lively, full of light, yet still feels quiet. A piece of peace there. No brutal sound of honks, no noisy sounds of the vehicle, and fresh air. How couldn't I fall in love? I like the city center, I like the pond (lake), I like the bunch number of coffeeshops available there with such a lovely ambience. 

Sa Pa Lake

Sa Pa 

Sa Pa at Night

Hanoi is different. Hanoi is enchanting but not fits me well. I had difficulty to cope with the heat. It's a bit worse than in Jakarta. No sweat, no Hanoi. But you know, the old quarters are just so lovely. The old buildings, the street full of shops, the flower sellers, the vegetables sellers. Oh I love that! 

Oh boii... Talking about Vietnam, well from my experience in Sa Pa dan Hanoi of course, there are some things surprising. Here are my lists:

  1. The immigration process in Hanoi (Noi Bai Airport) was the quickest and easiest that I have experienced so far! No question, no necessary to show my return ticket, hotel, and etc. The staff stamped on my passport quickly. I was so stunted till I asked 'done?' like?! How could it be so easy? I already prepared the documents: return ticket and hotel reservations. But well. Entry permit granted already! 😊
  2. The shoes used by the boys and men in Sa Pa is cute. It's like something strapped used by females here. I wonder why... It's still a question though but my guess was it's something similar that they used already from long time ago. Must be something similar with their traditional sandal. Must be so comfortable and suitable for hilly places like Sa Pa. Perhaps. 
  3. Men in Vietnam are cute?! Yes! But hey! The women are so beautiful, pretty, cute, and gorgeous! Oh my God! I said 'Cewek-cewek di sini pada cantik-cantik, ya.' so many-many times! You know? They slay!😭 Whenever I saw them, at the park, shops, streets, even market, oh gosh they're just effortlessly pretty 😭. And I think women there are very hardworking! (by the way, out of topic: the barista in vietnam: 'damage' 😌😍😅) 
  4. The chairs in the coffeeshops are unique (well, I thought it was weird but finally I decided that it was not). The chairs are pretty short. At the first, I didn't notice it but after I walked and passed lot of cafes, also tried to drink coffee at the cafes, I realized that yeah! Mostly the chairs are short! Even, some seems like dingklik in Indonesia. Sooooo cute. Idk why. What is the reason, bruuh? 
    Short Chairs in A Cafe

  5. Vietnam is a communist country. Well, I read some books about it, not the heavy one but hey I was a bit freaking surprised when I saw lot of Vietnamese using apple products. Not only the youngers but even the Grab driver, the traditional kinda becak. Well, I didn't expect that. How can? 
  6. Not forget to mention how comfortable I was because I felt safe, and I never heard any catcall! What a damn luck! Hellow, been living in Indonesia and been always feel worried and unsafe around people in public (especially when we walk at night) but here I felt less worried? Oh, God. 
  7. The service in Vietnam is exceptional! The bus? on time. Changing plan? you get the compensation. Already reserving the tour or bus? You will be notified H-1 day! Sempet diomelin sama sopir bus karena bus sudah datang tapi aku masih di toilet hehe. 
  8.  The food! Please, bruuh! I need to know what kinda smell in most restaurants. Also, what kinda leaves (or maybe something else) that you put in Pho? Smells like ginger. I am dying to know what it is. But no offense, I don't like it 😅😣
  9. The smell of the soap! Oh I love it! To be honest the smell of the soap in the hotel is like the smell of the incense in Indonesian's temple. I really love it. I think I smell the aroma similar to some air freshener in some public toilets in Sa Pa. You should really know how much I love it. I hunted it. I started to smell every soap in every washstand that I found just in case it was the same soap in the hotel. I already asked the staff in the receptionist but no answer. I even went to the store and smell every soap available there but no answer. I wish you could help me finding that soap. I fancy it for real. Even I brought some from the hotel. Well, I just took a little. No offense. 
  10. Where is the hospital? Where is the primary health care? Does the surveillance run well? Oh I'm dying to know. You should answer my question. I really need to hear the answer. Perhaps, this is the sign I have to come back.
  11. Vietnam talk politely. I saw a family had lunch together in the restaurant. I barely hear their voices and I was thought 'oh they are not noisy like Indonesians.' They talk in a low voice. Long story short, when I went to a cafe at the evening not far from the restaurant. The ambience was just right. So peaceful. It was just normal until Mba Sasti said to me 'Just like you said, Indonesians are so noisy.' and I was like damn! Yeah! The ambience felt so different - from peaceful becomes a bit noisy- because a group of young Indonesians were talking at the corner of the restaurant. And my question is: Do most of Vietnamese talking in a low tone when they are having fun in a conversation?
  12. Men (or maybe women too?) are pretty romantic there, I guess. I saw a small flower shop at the airport and yes I saw some people were bringing a bucket of flower while waiting for someone at the arrival gate. When can I get that romantic treatment? Help! 
    Little Flower Shop

    A Man Bringing a Bucket of Flower
Okay. I'm pretty tired now. But this post is gonna be a reminder for me to ask these questions to you when I came back. I need to go bed. 


Sincerely, 


A girl who had just fell in love with Sa Pa


 

0 komentar

Instagram

Featured Post

Hampa

Aku berlari dan terus berlari  Rasanya lelah namun aku tak bisa berhenti  Ku berlari tanpa arah yang pasti  Tak tahu pula apa yang tengah ku...

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *